Monday, February 27, 2017

A Prom Story: "We've Got Tonight"


It was January 26, 1985, the night of the Junior Prom.  The theme came from a song by Bob Seger, "We've Got Tonight" -- although, looking at the lyrics, I'm not sure how appropriate that was for a high school dance.

I know it's late, I know you're weary
I know your plans don't include me
Still here we are, both of us lonely
Longing for shelter from all that we see
Why should we worry, no one will care girl
Look at the stars so far away

We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow?
We've got tonight babe
Why don't you stay?

 Deep in my soul, I've been so lonely
All of my hopes, fading away
I've longed for love, like everyone else does
I know I'll keep searching, even after today
So there it is girl, I've said it all now
And here we are babe, what do you say?

We've got tonight, who needs tomorrow?
We've got tonight babe
Why don't you stay? 


The night before the dance, my priest quorum went on an overnight trip to a farm, where the next day we planned to ride snowmobiles in the fields.  I had a really good time, and I came away with something to talk about on my date with Julie.

Having just turned 16 a few weeks earlier, I still did not have my driver's license, so I depended on my parents to do the driving.  I do not suppose that it made a good impression when my mom and I picked Julie up at  7:30.  On the other hand, I did not have to worry about parking, so there was that.  My mom did all the talking on the drive in to Salt Lake City . . . thanks Mom.  Actually, she probably did me a favor.

Mother dropped us off at the Hotel Utah, where we had dinner at the Hotel Utah Grill.  This was a restaurant in the basement of the historic building that is now the Joseph Smith Memorial Building.  The big plus was that it was within easy walking distance of Symphony Hall, where the dance was being held.  It may not have been the fanciest of places, but it wasn't Village Inn or Denny's either.

The Grill was a suggestion made by my father.  A week before the dance we went into town to scout some places within walking distance of the venue for the Prom.  It seemed like a nice place, and the food was good.  I had the broiled burger while Julie ordered the club sandwich, though I am sure there were fancier entrees on the menu.  Finally alone, I talked about how much fun I had on the snowmobile trip that day.

After dinner, we walked down South Temple, past Temple Square, to Symphony Hall, which was the building's original name, though it had since been renamed Abravanel Hall.  As I had been taught, I walked on the street side, and did my best to be the perfect gentleman.  We arrived at the dance after 8:30, went inside, and got our pictures taken.

We wandered around the multi-tiered lobby for a bit and then found our way to the dance floor.  Julie looked wonderful that night.  Since that stake dance a few years earlier I had always found her pretty, but that night she was radiant.  Once again I had that special feeling, not just when we danced, but all night long.  I was having a wonderful time, and I hoped that she was, as well.

As the night went on, we danced, we wandered around, we sat and talked with some of her friends, we danced some more.  Alas, I had run out of topics for conversation fairly early in the evening, and I was a little self-conscious about not having much to say.

My father picked us up at 11:30 and we took her home. I walked Julie to the door and said that I had had wonderful time.  She said that she had enjoyed the evening as well.  Then we said good night.

I made a point of talking to Julie the next day at church, but I wish now that I had thought of doing what I would a few years later as a senior, and go by her house.  But that came about from a happy accident, when the girl I took to the Homecoming dance that year forgot her ticket for the photos and I took it by her house the next day.  That worked out so well I kept the photo ticket, or something else, on purpose in order to have an excuse to see the girl the day after the dance.

We did have that night, would we have any others?

No comments:

Post a Comment